Airports and Airlines GoTürkiye
Türkiye has 54 airports and 37 of them are international airports. In addition to having hundreds of flights a day from abroad to Türkiye, there is also a large intercity air traffic within the country. On the other hand, Türkiye is home to İstanbul Airport, the world's largest and the most modern airport!
The world’s meeting point, İstanbul Airport stands out with its annual passenger capacity of 90 million in phase one and overall capacity of 200 million when the airport is completed. Providing flights to more than 350 destinations, İstanbul Airport is acknowledged as a new center of global aviation and promises its visitors maximum comfort.
Türkiye is so well connected that even its second-largest airport, Sabiha Gökçen International Airport, welcomed more than 14 million passengers in 2019. Antalya’s award-winning airport greets around 20 million each year.
Türkiye is a big country with 81 cities, and it covers 783,562 km2. You will find low-cost and useful flight between the cities which have many historical assets and natural beauties.
Turkish Airlines and other local airlines offer easy, fast and safe connection between these cities.
Quick Guide! These are some tips you need you know!
- İstanbul Airport is one of the most modern and largest airports in the world, situated northwest of the city in the district of Arnavutköy. The airport was officially opened on 29 October 2018, the national day in Türkiye. In the weekend of 6 April 2019, it replaced İstanbul Atatürk Airport as the primary passenger airport serving İstanbul.Today, the airport can handle 90 million passengers per year
- İstanbul Airport is located on the European side of İstanbul, the second airport of the city İstanbul Sabiha Gökcen Airportis located on the Asian side. It’s second busiest airport of the country.
- Antalya Airport is the third busiest airport in Türkiye and Europe’s fifteenth busiest airport, mainly due to the large number of tourists taking their summer holidays in the south of Türkiye. The airport served 35,679,421 passengers in 2019.
- Dalaman Airport is located in the south-west of Türkiye, in Muğla city, and is mainly used for charter flights filled with tourists. If you are going on holiday to Marmaris or Fethiye, then probably you’ll fly to Dalaman Airport. There are plenty of domestic flights connecting it to both of the İstanbul Airports.
- The national carrier, Turkish Airlines, is world-class, modern, and very well connected. Based at the new İstanbul Airport it set to become one of the biggest Airlines in the world. Turkish Airlines serves 239 international destinations and 47 domestic destinations in 121 countries, as of December 2020. As one of the fastest growing airlines in Europe, Turkish Airlines joined The Star Alliance on April 1st, 2008. With a fleet of 299 aircraft (passenger and cargo), Turkish Airlines flies to 300.
- There are also other Türkiye based airline companies like Pegasus, Sun Express, Onur Air.
- You will find European Charter Flights to arrive in Türkiye. Holiday companies operate economical charter flights to İstanbul and the main holiday resort (Antalya and Dalaman) Airports.
- The Turkish word for Airport is “Havalimanı”.